Introduction to Programming
The demand for software developers and programmers is growing rapidly. This is due in large part to the pervasive nature of software applications in every economic sector including healthcare, defense, aerospace and even manufacturing. This course introduces participants to important and common elements of computer programming through the use of the Python programming language. Through practical, hands-on exercises, participants will learn to code and execute beginner-level Python programs and be exposed to elements that are common to many programming languages.
This course is designed with the new programmer in mind. No prior programming experience is required.
A strong desire, passion and commitment to learn how to code in a modern programming language. Students should have basic computer literacy including use of a browser and a basic text editor such as Atom.
Register 21 days before class start date and save 10%! Enter discount code EARLY10 during registration.
Register 21 days before class start date and save $250! Enter discount code EARLY250 during registration.
• What is Programming?
• Python Basics
• Jupyter Notebook Basics
• The Mindset of Program Design
• Comments, Indenting, print()
• Types and Type Conversion
• Repeating Code – Looping Constructs
• How Functions Work
• Built-in Functions
• User-Defined Functions
• Function Overloading
• Control Flow
• Identifying Errors
• Handling Exceptions
• Lists and Dictionaries
• Importing and Selective Importing
• Built-In Modules
• Third-Party Modules
- Is there a discount available for current students? UMBC students and alumni, as well as students who have previously taken a public training course with UMBC Training Centers are eligible for a 10% discount, capped at $250. Please provide a copy of your UMBC student ID or an unofficial transcript or the name of the UMBC Training Centers course you have completed. Online courses are excluded from this offer.
- What is the cancellation and refund policy? Student will receive a refund of paid registration fees only if UMBC Training Centers receives a notice of cancellation at least 10 business days prior to the class start date for classes or the exam date for exams.
- What is Live Online training? Classes marked Live Online have the same content and expert instructors as our classroom training, but are delivered entirely online through our virtual classroom environment. Each class session is live, and led by an Instructor.