Data Analysis with Excel
The objective of this course is to provide students with a strong foundation in fundamental concepts of statistics and analytics that are both theoretical and applied. The course will teach enough statistical theory so that students can become educated
consumers of analytical methodology, with an emphasis on application of these techniques to reach sound conclusions from real-world data.
The material will begin with basic concepts and methods, such as probability, descriptive statistics, exploratory analysis, and inferential testing. The course progresses to more complex material, such as regression modeling. Analytical challenges unique to large and/or heterogeneous datasets will also be explored. All analytical techniques will be illustrated with examples using Microsoft Excel. Students will analyze a variety of real world sample data sets during the course.
Who Should Take This Course
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
The target audience is anyone with a business need to analyze data in their organization, including but not limited to: business decision makers, business analysts, data analysts, data scientists, intelligence analysts, project managers.
Participants should have strong mathematical problem-solving skills, and experience with the basic features of Microsoft Excel. Experience working with data sets and/or databases is helpful.
Why You Should Take This Course
This course will help students gain the practical ability to choose, implement and interpret statistical methods to answer scientific and/or business questions. Students will understand elementary statistical theories and concepts that form the basis of many analytical techniques used in practice, as well as the assumptions that must be met for these approaches to be valid.
Students will also gain familiarity with the statistical, data import, data analysis, and graphical capabilities of Microsoft Excel, and how to use them to effectively analyze and visualize data and communicate results and conclusions.
Register 21 days before class start date and save 10%! Enter discount code EARLY10 during registration.
Register 21 days before class start date and save $250! Enter discount code EARLY250 during registration.
Using Excel Review
- Review the basic features of Microsoft Excel to ensure students are all at the same baseline competence.
- Introduce the statistical, data import, data analysis, and graphical capabilities of Microsoft Excel which will all be used in subsequent modules of the course.
Basic Probability: Effect, Error, and Confidence
- Basic probability concepts: distributions and parameters, continuous and discrete probability distributions, parameter estimation and confidence intervals, the Central Limit Theorem and normal approximations.
- Conditional probability.
- How to summarize and characterize data distributions using exploratory analysis methods and basic graphical techniques.
- Definition and detection of outliers.
Statistical Inference: Comparisons and Tests
- Hypothesis testing: type I and II error, p-values, statistical significance and power.
- Multiple testing issues and alpha inflation.
- Decision tree for choosing the appropriate statistical test.
- Common types of bias that arise in statistics and how to detect and avoid them.
Statistical Modeling: Regression and Prediction
- Bivariate techniques: correlation, simple linear regression and logistic regression.
- More complex forms such as multiple linear regression, repeated measures models, and multiple logistic regression.
- Model fitting strategies and diagnostics.
- Statistical inference and hypothesis testing in regression.
- Define/contrast the concepts of interaction and confounding, how to detect and address each using multiple regression
Machine Learning (Optional)
- Various techniques in Machine Learning can be explored within Microsoft Excel, such as K-Means Clustering, Naïve Bayes, Network Graph Analysis, and Optimization
Is there a discount available for current students?
UMBC students and alumni, as well as students who have previously taken a public training course with UMBC Training Centers are eligible for a 10% discount, capped at $250. Please provide a copy of your UMBC student ID or an unofficial transcript or the name of the UMBC Training Centers course you have completed. Online courses are excluded from this offer.
What is the cancellation and refund policy?
Student will receive a refund of paid registration fees only if UMBC Training Centers receives a notice of cancellation at least 10 business days prior to the class start date for classes or the exam date for exams.