In this training course, you will configure a workstation to connect to a network, use a network sniffer to analyze network traffic, examine switch and router configurations, implement basic IPv4 addressing and subnetting, and explore network security solutions. You will gain an understanding of basic network functions, standards, and protocols.
- Students should also have a basic understanding of operating a PC.
Upon completing the course, students will be able to meet the following objectives:
- Know the role of networking models.
- Discuss different network topologies.
- Discuss the use and installation of different network media.
- Physical vs. Logical addresses.
- IPv4 and IPv6 addressing, private and public addresses, and subnetting.
- Configure a workstation to properly connect to the network.
- Discuss the operation of basic network hardware, (hub, switch, router, and firewall).
- Understand common TCP/IP protocols, (UDP, TCP, ARP, DNS, and DHCP).
- Analyze network traffic with a network sniffer.
- Configure a wireless network.
- Explore WAN Technologies
- Understand network security threats, attacks, and countermeasures
Register 21 days before class start date and save 10%! Enter discount code EARLY10 during registration.
Register 21 days before class start date and save $250! Enter discount code EARLY250 during registration.
Lesson 1: Intro to Networking
Topic 1A: Goals and History of Networking
Topic 1B: Governing Bodies / RFCs
Topic 1C: Networking Terms
Topic 1D: Network Topologies
Lesson 2: Networking Models
Topic 2A: OSI Model
Topic 2B: TCP/IP Model
Lesson 3: Network Media
Topic 3A: Wired Media (Copper-Based Cables, Fiber Optic)
Topic 3B: Connector Types
Topic 3C: Wireless (Infrared, NFC, Bluetooth, WIFI, Cellular, Satellite)
Topic 3D: Cabling Tools
Lesson 4: Ethernet
Topic 4A: Ethernet Standards
Topic 4B: Ethernet Frame Structures
Topic 4C: Ethernet Equipment Types, Connectors, and Ethernet Performance Issues
Lesson 5: Physical Addressing
Topic 5A: MAC Addresses
Topic 5B: ARP
Topic 5C: Local Node Data Delivery
Lesson 6: Switches
Topic 6A: Benefits of Switching
Topic 6B: Switch Installations and Operations Overview
Topic 6C: Switch Loop Problems
Topic 6D: Spanning Tree Protocol Overview
Topic 6E: Configuring Switches
Topic 6F: VLAN Overview
Topic 6G: Link Aggregation
Topic 6H: Troubleshooting
Lesson 7: Logical Addressing
Topic 7A: IPv4 Protocol
Topic 7B: IP Header Fields
Topic 7C: IP Addressing
Topic 7D: Subnetting, VLSM, CIDR notation
Topic 7E: IPv6
Lesson 8: Routing
Topic 8A: Logical Segmentation
Topic 8B: Static vs. Dynamic Routing
Topic 8C: Routing Decision Process
Topic 8D: Route Protocol Operation
Topic 8E: Common Routing Protocols
Topic 8F: Configuring Routers
Lesson 9: Wireless Networks
Topic 9A: WLAN Standards: IEEE & Wi-Fi Alliance
Topic 9B: WLAN Components
Topic 9C: SSID
Topic 9D: Wi-Fi Channels and Speeds
Topic 9E: WLAN Security and Performance Issues
Lesson 10: TCP/IP Protocols
Topic 10A: HTTP, HTTPS
Topic 10B: TELNET, SSH
Topic 10C: SMTP, POP, IMAP
Topic 10D: SIP, RTP
Topic 10E: TCP, UDP
Topic 10F: ICMP, IGMP, SNMP, NetBIOS
Lesson 11: Wide Area Networking
Topic 11A: Evolution of WAN Technologies
Topic 11B: Sources of WAN Solutions
Topic 11C: Circuit Switched vs. Packet Switched WAN Solutions
Topic 11D: Internet WANs
Lesson 12: Network Security
Topic 12A: Network Threats
Topic 12B: Network-based attacks
Topic 12C: Controls and countermeasures
Is there a discount available for current students?
UMBC students and alumni, as well as students who have previously taken a public training course with UMBC Training Centers are eligible for a 10% discount, capped at $250. Please provide a copy of your UMBC student ID or an unofficial transcript or the name of the UMBC Training Centers course you have completed. Online courses are excluded from this offer.
What is the cancellation and refund policy?
Student will receive a refund of paid registration fees only if UMBC Training Centers receives a notice of cancellation at least 10 business days prior to the class start date for classes or the exam date for exams.
What else is included in this class?
A year-long neXT membership which includes 365 days of…
- Access to exclusive webinars and neXTpertise mentoring sessions covering content in and out of class
- Sessions include exam prep, delta sessions, hot topics, version upgrades, etc
- Discussion boards to interact with instructors and other members
- Customized learning paths built to get you to your end goal
- Learning paths include vidoes, blogs, quizzes, exam prep, and more