Software Developer Foundations
The Software Developer Foundations course is the first step to making a lucrative career change to the field of Software Development.
This course is a prerequisite to enrolling in the Certified Software Developer Program and will provide participants with a practical introduction to Python language basics, focusing on employing Python libraries to address common challenges with data access, data filtering and manipulation and data analysis.
The Software Developer Foundations program introduces participants to the critical and common elements of computer programming through the use of the Python programming language. This program provides practical, hands-on experience with the latest, in-demand technologies that are in use today by software developers, data engineers, and web developers. Rather than an exhaustive dive into one programming language, preference is given to a common paradigm:
- Extract data.
- Transform the data.
- Load the data.
To provide students the best opportunity to absorb and apply these new skills quickly, the Software Developer Foundations course follows a project-based format. This means students will be given a real-world, software development project at the beginning of the class and our instructors will teach the skills needed to execute the project successfully. Students will end the course with a capstone project to certify their ability to perform the functions of a software developer.
Software Developer Foundations Cost & Program Dates
The Software Developer Foundations course costs $3,495.
The program is offered in a full-time and part-time format.
- Full-time: Monday-Friday from 9 am to 5 pm daily for 3 weeks.
- Part-time: Monday-Thursday from 6 pm to 9:30 pm for 6 weeks and 2 full day Saturday classes from 9 am to 5 pm (Saturday dates are listed in session Schedule below).
Who Should Take This Course
The Software Developer Foundations program is designed for participants with a demonstrated commitment to learning, a strong interest in coding and an understanding that exposure to important technologies is a vital step toward a career in the software sector.
Students taking this program should have a strong desire to launch a career in Software Development and have access to these basic technical requirements:
- Text editor
- Microsoft apps
- Gmail account
Still Not Sure That SOftware Development Is Right For You?
Our Admissions Team can give you the facts you need to make the best decision for you. Request a call today by submitting the form below!
Why You Should Take This Course
If you are desiring a career change and know that technology is the field for you, then this Software Developer Foundations course is exactly what you need. The skills you learn in this course can translate to a number of lucrative positions in software development, sales, customer support and more. These positions often don’t require degrees, or multiple years of experience so long as you have right foundation of knowledge. If you are ready to make a big change, then register below for an upcoming session.
- Understand the objectives of computer programming
- Get introduced to the broad range of application areas that the Python programming language has impacted
- Gain a working knowledge of fundamental Python programming constructs such as variables, conditional logic, control flow, loops, functions, and built-in data types such as Python lists and dictionaries
- Code using IPython and Jupyter Notebooks
- Create and execute Python programs from a Linux command-line shell
- Learn to debug code and describe the difference between syntax and logic errors in your code
- Work with popular, common data formats: JSON, CSV, and HTML
- Apply Python strings, lists, dictionaries and other constructs to solve problems using Python programming
- Use pip to install Python modules
- Gain working knowledge of various Python modules including datetime, csv, json, requests, pandas, and more
- Work with Amazon S3 storage
- Present data through a Web User Interface (UI) using Flask
- Progress from writing basic Python programs through creating a significant project that will expose participants to technologies that are currently in wide use within the software industry
Register 21 days before class start date and save 10%! Enter discount code EARLY10 during registration.
Register 21 days before class start date and save $250! Enter discount code EARLY250 during registration.
Software Developer Foundations COurse Outline
The program is offered in a full-time and part-time format. Each Friday session of the full-time program and each Saturday session of the part-time program will offer students a chance to put their newly acquired development skills to the test. These dedicated coding sessions will allow students the opportunity to flex their abilities and apply it toward finalizing their capstone project.
Getting Started with Programming
- Program Kick-Off
- What is Programming?
- Why Python?
Google Colab and Jupyter Notebooks
Running Python from the Command Line
- Python Interactive Shell
- Python Types
- Basic I/O
- Arithmetic and Assignment Operators
- Logical Operators
- Type Conversion
- Looping Constructs
- User-Defined Functions
- Python Built-in Functions
- List Comprehensions
Object-oriented Concepts in Python
- Classes and Objects
- Method Calls
- Working with Strings
- Built-in String Functions
- Planning your Program Design
- Iterative Design – Write, Test, Repeat
- Common Pitfalls for New Programmers
Errors and Debugging
- Types of Errors
- Using pdb
- Debugging with an IDE
Python Data Structures
Python Libraries and Modules
- Built-in Libraries and Modules
- Installing Modules with PIP
Working with Different Data Formats
- JSON, CSV, XML
- Data Conversion
- Data Manipulation in Python
Introduction to SQL
- CREATE, INSERT, SELECT, DELETE
Interacting with Data via the Web
- Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP)
- Application Programming Interfaces (APIs)
- Python requests Library
- Introduction to the Cloud and AWS
- Amazon Storage
- Interacting with S3 using the Amazon boto3 SDK
Python and Data Engineering
- pandas library
- The DataFrame structure
- Working with CSV and Excel Data
Introduction to Web Applications
- Using Flask
- Displaying Data via a Web UI
- Is there a discount available for current students?UMBC students and alumni, as well as students who have previously taken a public training course with UMBC Training Centers are eligible for a 10% discount, capped at $250. Please provide a copy of your UMBC student ID or an unofficial transcript or the name of the UMBC Training Centers course you have completed. Online courses are excluded from this offer.
- What is the cancellation and refund policy?Student will receive a refund of paid registration fees only if UMBC Training Centers receives a notice of cancellation at least 10 business days prior to the class start date for classes or the exam date for exams.
- What is Live Online training?Classes marked Live Online have the same content and expert instructors as our classroom training, but are delivered entirely online through our virtual classroom environment. Each class session is live, and led by an Instructor.