Software Developer Foundations
The Software Developer Foundations course is the first step to making a lucrative career change to the field of Software Development.
This course is a prerequisite to enrolling in the Certified Software Developer Program. The program will provide participants with a practical introduction to Python language basics for the purpose of solving practical problems by leveraging Python libraries to access public data sets, apply data filtering and analysis and build a basic web application.
Software Developer Course Description
The Software Developer Foundations program introduces participants to essential elements of computer programming and provides an environment to get comfortable coding using the Python programming language. In addition to learning how to code, this program focuses on practical, hands-on experience with the latest, in-demand technologies that are currently in use today by software developers, data engineers, and web developers. Rather than an exhaustive dive into one programming language, the program is intentional about exposing participants only to the most practical aspects of modern day coding. The course is broken down into 3 major parts:
- Learn the essentials of programming in Python.
- Become familiar with common data science tasks such as data ingest, data manipulation and data analysis.
- Build a basic SQL database-backed web application.
To provide students the best opportunity to absorb and apply these new skills quickly, the Software Developer Foundations course follows a strong hands-on format using Google Colaboratory. Classes are led by two experienced software development instructors and combine lecture, in-class exercises and daily coding challenges; at a minimum, 50% of the course involves hands-on coding exercises. Multiple course instructors also allow students to engage in 1:1 sessions through online breakout rooms, as needed. Overall, the course focuses on solving common problems routinely encountered by software developers, including two 8-hour hackathon sessions which provide students with a taste of the work environment of a Software Developer who typically spends their full work days coding.
Students will end the course with a series of coding projects to certify their understanding of core Python topics, accessing and working with public data sets, and building a web application .
Software Developer Foundations Cost & Program Dates
The Software Developer Foundations course costs $3,295.
The program is offered in a part-time format of Tuesday – Thursday from 6 pm to 9 pm for 10 weeks and 2 full day Saturday classes from 9:30 am to 4:30 pm (Saturday dates are listed in session Schedule below).
Software Development Training & Career Resources
- How To Succeed In Software Sales
- How To Maximize Your Software Developer Foundations Investment
- What Is The Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC)?
- What Is Python Programming Used For?
- Is A Certificate As Good As A Degree In Software Development?
- Which Programming Language Is Best For Software Development?
The Software Developer Foundations program is designed for participants with a demonstrated commitment to learning, analytical in nature, a strong interest in coding and an understanding that exposure to important technologies is a vital step toward a career in the software sector. The most successful students are natural problem solvers, persistent in their studies and:
- Attend all class dates
- Complete a minimum of 4 class hackathons
- Collaborate with students and faculty while building their code
Students taking this program should have a strong desire to launch a career in Software Development and have access to these basic technical requirements:
- A Web Browser such as Google Chrome
- Basic familiarity with a spreadsheet application such as Google Sheets or Microsoft Excel
- A Gmail account
- Comfort with navigating a computer running either Microsoft Windows or Mac OSX
This program provides candidates the knowledge, skills and abilities commonly required for job roles such as:
- QA Tester
- Technical Account Manager
- Customer Success
- Software Sales
- Sales Engineer
- Product Manager/Product Owner
- Agile/Scrum Master
Still Not Sure That SOftware Development Is Right For You?
Our Admissions Team can give you the facts you need to make the best decision for you. Request a call today by submitting the form below!
If you are desiring a career change and know that technology is the field for you, then this Software Developer Foundations course is exactly what you need. The skills you learn in this course can translate to a number of lucrative positions in software development, sales, customer support and more. These positions often don’t require degrees, or multiple years of experience so long as you have right foundation of knowledge. If you are ready to make a big change, then register below for an upcoming session.
This course is eligible for funding through the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA).
- Understand core concepts of computer programming
- Learn how to program using the Python Programming Language
- Gain familiarity with the broad range of application areas that the Python programming language has impacted
- Gain a strong working knowledge of fundamental Python programming constructs such as built-in datatypes, variables, conditional logic, control flow, loops, list comprehensions, and functions
- Code using Google Colaboratory and repl.it
- Create and execute Python programs using an online Linux command-line shell
- Learn to debug code and describe the difference between syntax and logic errors in your code
- Work with data formats in common use by modern developers : JSON, CSV, and HTML
- Gain significant experience manipulating Python strings, lists, and dictionaries to solve programming problems using Python
- Use pip to install Python modules
- Leverage powerful Python modules such as csv, json, requests, pandas, and more
- Use HTTP and Python modules to access interesting public data APIs such as movie, recipe, and archived newspaper articles
- Get experience applying basic data analytics to large datasets using the pandas library
- Learn the basics of HTML and CSS for formatting webpages
- Use Bootstrap together with Flask to create a simple Web User Interface (UI)
- Learn the basics of SQL and use SQLAlchemy in your web application
- Progress from writing basic Python programs through creating significant programs that will expose participants to technologies that are in wide use within the software industry today
- Host your code on GitHub
“I am really enjoying the class. I have learned so much!! I attempted to learn python on my own and it didn’t work out so good. It says a lot that I’m getting the material and able to actually code.”Software Developer Foundations 2020 Student
“Thanks to this class, I was able to write a python script using libvirt and json that reads in data from my kvm server, then uses two functions to spit out a json format that ansible can read and use as an inventory. A few weeks ago I would not even have tried this.”James McDermott, 2020 Software Developer Foundations Student
Register 21 days before class start date and save 10%! Enter discount code EARLY10 during registration.
Register 21 days before class start date and save $250! Enter discount code EARLY250 during registration.
Software Developer Foundations COurse Outline
The program is offered in a full-time and part-time format. Each Friday session of the full-time program and each Saturday session of the part-time program will offer students a chance to put their newly acquired development skills to the test. These dedicated coding sessions will allow students the opportunity to flex their abilities and apply it toward finalizing their capstone project.
Getting Started with Programming
- Running Python Notebooks from Google Colaboratory
Running Python from the Command Line
- Python Interactive Shell
- Python Types
- Arithmetic and Assignment Operators
- Logical Operators
- Type Conversion
Python Looping Constructs
- Working with Strings
- Built-in Python String Functions
Python Data Structures
- List Comprehensions
- User-Defined Functions
- Python Built-in Functions
- Object-oriented concepts
- Classes and Objects
Python Libraries and Modules
- Built-in Libraries and Modules
- Installing Modules with PIP
Running Python from the Command Line
Errors and Debugging
- Types of Errors
- Planning your Program Design
- Iterative Design – Write, Test, Repeat
- Common Pitfalls for New Programmers
Working with Text Files
- Python File I/O
- open() function
- with keyword
Working with Different Data Formats
- Data Conversion
- Data Manipulation in Python with the json modules
Interacting with Public Data Sources via the Web
- Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP)
- Application Programming Interfaces (APIs)
- Python requests Library
Introduction to SQL
- Using SQLAlchemy to Query SQL Tables
Python and Data Engineering
- pandas library
- The DataFrame structure
- Working with CSV data in DataFrames
Introduction to Web Applications
- Using Flask
- Displaying Data via a Web UI
- Is there a discount available for current students?UMBC students and alumni, as well as students who have previously taken a public training course with UMBC Training Centers are eligible for a 10% discount, capped at $250. Please provide a copy of your UMBC student ID or an unofficial transcript or the name of the UMBC Training Centers course you have completed. Online courses are excluded from this offer.
- What is the cancellation and refund policy?Student will receive a refund of paid registration fees only if UMBC Training Centers receives a notice of cancellation at least 10 business days prior to the class start date for classes or the exam date for exams.
- What is Live Online training?Classes marked Live Online have the same content and expert instructors as our classroom training, but are delivered entirely online through our virtual classroom environment. Each class session is live, and led by an Instructor.