Data Visualization with Tableau
This course introduces Tableau with an emphasis on creating powerful visualizations with your data. We will connect to data sources and perform basic filtering before displaying the data. The class is a mixture of lecture and hands-on labs.
Topics covered include:
- Tableau Overview
- Connecting to data sources
- Data Visualization Plotting
- Bar charts, pie charts
- Heat maps, Tree maps, and Geographic maps
- Building a Tableau dashboard
This course is designed for people within the following roles who want a quick introduction to data visualization with Tableau:
- Data engineers
- Data scientist
- Software engineers
- Technical managers
Basic comfort level working with new software and navigating a user-interface. Students who have experience manipulating large datasets will particularly benefit from this introductory class.
Upon completing this course, students will be able to:
- Use Tableau to connect to a variety of data sources
- Filter data sets within Tableau
- Work with Tableau views and worksheets
- Build powerful visualizations with pie charts, bar charts, heat maps, etc.
- Build a Tableau dashboard
Still Not Sure This Is The Course For You?
Our Admissions Team can give you the facts you need to make the best decision for you. Request a call today by submitting the form below!
Register 21 days before class start date and save 10%! Enter discount code EARLY10 during registration.
Register 21 days before class start date and save $250! Enter discount code EARLY250 during registration.
Day 1 (Introduction to Tableau)
- Data Visualization Concepts & Best Practices
- Connecting to Data
- Start Page
- Data Source Page
- Data Joins, Unions & Blending
- Key Tableau Terms & Concepts
- Tableau Workspace
- Measures & Dimensions
- Continuous & Discrete
- Grouping & Hierarchies
- Discrete Date Parts; Continuous Date Values; Exact Dates
- Basic Visualizations
- Line Chart; Bar Chart; Scatter Plot; Crosstab
- Reference Lines & Bands
- Business Data Visualizations
- Change over Time; Correlation; Magnitude; Deviation; Distribution; Ranking; Part-to-Whole
- Line Chart; Scatter Plot with Trend/Regression Lines; Highlight & Heatmap Table; Stacked Bar Chart; Packed Bubble Chart; Control Chart; Bullet Chart; Bar-in-Bar Chart; Histogram; Box Plot; Bump Chart; Slope Chart; Pie Chart; Treemap; Area Chart; Waterfall Chart; etc.
- Filtering & Highlighting; Sorting; Dual axis & Combo Charts
- Trendlines; Sparklines; Forecasting; Seasonality using Cycle Plots; Clustering
Day 2 (Introduction to Tableau)
- Regular, LOD Expressions
- Table Calculations
- Order of Operations
- Context Filters
- Working with Parameters & Sets
- Geographic Visualizations
- Point/Symbol Maps, Filled/Polygon Maps, Density Maps, Line/Path Maps
- Working with spatial files
- Dashboards & Stories
Day 3 (Enhanced Tableau)
(Optional extra day for our group training clients)
- Advanced Visualizations
- Advanced Actions
- Swapping Visualizations
- Advanced Dashboards
Is there a discount available for current students?
UMBC students and alumni, as well as students who have previously taken a public training course with UMBC Training Centers are eligible for a 10% discount, capped at $250. Please provide a copy of your UMBC student ID or an unofficial transcript or the name of the UMBC Training Centers course you have completed. Online courses are excluded from this offer.
What is the cancellation and refund policy?
Student will receive a refund of paid registration fees only if UMBC Training Centers receives a notice of cancellation at least 10 business days prior to the class start date for classes or the exam date for exams.