Data Analysis with Excel
The objective of this course is to fully explore the uses of Microsoft Excel as a data analysis tool. Most business professionals are familiar with the core functionality of Excel. This course explores some of the additional capabilities and advanced features of Excel for analyzing, manipulating and visualizing data.
The audience for this course includes technically proficient business users who generate, interpret, or work with business data. The learning persona is anyone with a business need to analyze data in their organization, including but not limited to business decision makers, business analysts, data analysts, data scientists, and project managers.
Participants should have good analytical problem-solving skills, and experience with the basic features of Microsoft Excel such as cell references, functions, formulas, cell and sheet formatting. An awareness of datasets within your organization, what that data represents and where that data is stored is helpful. Comfort with basic charts such as bar charts, line charts, etc.
Register 21 days before class start date and save 10%! Enter discount code EARLY10 during registration.
Register 21 days before class start date and save $250! Enter discount code EARLY250 during registration.
Days 1 & 2 (Working with Intermediate Excel Features)
- Acquiring Data
- Files – Excel/Word, CSV, XML, JSON, HTML/web pages
- Databases – Microsoft Query, Access, SQL
- Public data sources
- Power Query (aka Get & Transform)
- Excel Options
- Display, Formulas, Other customizations
- Cleaning Data
- Worksheet manipulation
▪ Value formatting (dates, currencies, decimals)
▪ Paste Special, Transpose
- Using Excel functions to find and clean data
▪ Clean, Search/Find, Concat, Left/Right, Lower/Upper
▪ Lookup, Index, Match
- Using Validation to maintain data
- Understanding data encoding & UTF-8
- Worksheet manipulation
- Excel Tables
- Sorting, Filtering
- Data Analysis
- Count, Sum, Average, Min/Max, etc.
- Index & Match, VLookup/HLookup, XLookup
- Goal Seek
- Error Handling
- Dates & Times
- Excel Charts
- PivotTables & PivotCharts
Day 3 (Enhanced Excel)
- More PivotTables & PivotCharts
- Power Query
- Get data from URLs, Excel Tables, Files, Folders
- Transform data
- M language
- PowerPivot & DAX (Data Analysis Expressions)
- Probability and Statistics
- Variables & Distributions
- Counting, Averaging, Ranking, Standard Deviation, Variance, Correlation
- Confidence Intervals & Hypothesis Testing
- Regressions Analysis
- Data Analysis/Analysis ToolPak (add-in)
- Time Series Analysis
- Linear Optimization/Programming
- Solver (add-in)
- (optional) Macros & Automation
- Recording & Running
- Introduction to VBA
- (optional) Introduction to Cluster Analysis and Machine Learning
- Is there a discount available for current students?UMBC students and alumni, as well as students who have previously taken a public training course with UMBC Training Centers are eligible for a 10% discount, capped at $250. Please provide a copy of your UMBC student ID or an unofficial transcript or the name of the UMBC Training Centers course you have completed. Online courses are excluded from this offer.
- What is the cancellation and refund policy?Student will receive a refund of paid registration fees only if UMBC Training Centers receives a notice of cancellation at least 10 business days prior to the class start date for classes or the exam date for exams.
- What is Live Online training?Classes marked Live Online have the same content and expert instructors as our classroom training, but are delivered entirely online through our virtual classroom environment. Each class session is live, and led by an Instructor.