Data Visualization with Excel and Power BI
Data Visualization is the graphical representation of large datasets using graphs and charts such as bar charts, line graphs, scatterplots, etc. Learn how to elegantly present datasets that allow your audience to quickly digest, understand, and derive insights or see trends from the data. This course provides students with hands-on experience creating effective and appealing visual representations of data using both Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Power BI.
Basic familiarity and hands-on working knowledge of Microsoft Excel. An awareness of datasets within your organization, what that data represents and where that data is stored is helpful. Comfort with basic charts such as bar charts, line charts, etc.
The audience for this course includes technically proﬁcient business users who generate, interpret, or work with business data.
Register 21 days before class start date and save 10%! Enter discount code EARLY10 during registration.
Register 21 days before class start date and save $250! Enter discount code EARLY250 during registration.
Important Excel Prerequisites
● Excel Tables
● Dates & Times
● PivotTables & PivotCharts
● Power BI Desktop – Model data & Build visualizations/reports
● Power BI Service – Collaborate on & Share reports/dashboards
● Best Practices & Guidelines
● Concepts: Change over Time; Correlation; Magnitude; Deviation; Distribution; Ranking; Part-to-Whole
Business Data Visualizations
● Standard Charts/Visuals: Tables; Stacked & Clustered Bar/Column charts; Line & Area charts; Scatter plot; Pie & Donut chart
● Advanced Charts/Visuals: Treemap; Waterfall; Dual-axis & Combo charts; etc.
● Geographic: Point & Filled maps
● Filtering & Highlighting; Sorting
● Min/Max/Average; Trendlines; Forecasting
(Advanced) Power Query
● For Excel & Power BI
● Get data from URLs, Excel Tables, Files, Folders, Databases, etc.
● Transform data using the Power Query M Formula Language
(Advanced) Enhance data using DAX (Data Analysis Expressions)
Is there a discount available for current students?
UMBC students and alumni, as well as students who have previously taken a public training course with UMBC Training Centers are eligible for a 10% discount, capped at $250. Please provide a copy of your UMBC student ID or an unofficial transcript or the name of the UMBC Training Centers course you have completed. Online courses are excluded from this offer.
What is the cancellation and refund policy?
Student will receive a refund of paid registration fees only if UMBC Training Centers receives a notice of cancellation at least 10 business days prior to the class start date for classes or the exam date for exams.