Git Version Control
This course trains participants in essential, modern-day version control practices. It focuses on Git, the most popular (90% market share) and powerful Version Control System (VCS).
Rather than focus on specific copy-and-paste recipes, participants will gain deep understanding of Git. Particpants learn techniques that are applicable to GitHub, GitLab, or any other centralizing service. The hands-on, outcome-driven approach should get any learner up and ready to work in a team that coordinates using Git.
The knowledge, skills, and abilities learned in this course are immediately applicable in software development. VCS capability is one of the most important skills for software developers and programmers.
This course is suitable for anyone wanting to learn how use the Git VCS. Participants will learn proper best practices for working with Git in a team.
No prerequisites are needed for this course. Not even programming knowledge!
Upon completing this course, you will know how to:
• Collaborate and contribute to a project using Git
• Explain the architecture and structure of Git
• Track and manage changes
• Develop on independent feature branches
• Resolve merge conflicts
• Connect with multiple remote repositories
• Integrate VCS skills with GitHub or Gitlab
• Resolve tickets and merge requests
• Rebase history for specific use cases
Register 21 days before class start date and save 10%! Enter discount code EARLY10 during registration.
Register 21 days before class start date and save $250! Enter discount code EARLY250 during registration.
Git Core Skills
• Git Documentation
• Seeing Differences
• Building and Making Commits
• Querying History
• Repository vs. Working Copy
• Ignoring Files
• Branch Creation
• Moving Between Working Copies
• Fast-Forward Merges
• Automatic Merges
• Merge Conflicts
Working With Remotes
• Connecting Local Repositories to Remote Repositories
• Communicating Between Locals and Remotes
• Submodule Integration
• Setting Up an Account
• Creating New Repositories
• Importing Existing Projects
• Merge Requests
• Issue Tracker
• Protecting Branches
• Groups and Users
• Blobs, Trees, Commits, and Annotated Tags
• Rewriting History
Is there a discount available for current students?
UMBC students and alumni, as well as students who have previously taken a public training course with UMBC Training Centers are eligible for a 10% discount, capped at $250. Please provide a copy of your UMBC student ID or an unofficial transcript or the name of the UMBC Training Centers course you have completed. Online courses are excluded from this offer.
What is the cancellation and refund policy?
Student will receive a refund of paid registration fees only if UMBC Training Centers receives a notice of cancellation at least 10 business days prior to the class start date for classes or the exam date for exams.