Introduction to Data Analytics and Big Data
The purpose of this course is for a student to get a broad familiarity with the relevant concepts of data analytics and data science and how they are applied to a wide range of business, scientific and engineering problems. The course will also explore the unique challenges of doing data analytics at very large scales, i.e. “Big Data”.
Topics covered include:
- History of data analytics and data science
- Defining key terms and understanding the jargon
- Success stories and failures in data science
- The key drivers for data analytics (data, math, computation and analysis)
- The basic phases of a data analytics project
- The different types of data
- Overview of the different mathematical approaches for data analytics
- The different concepts of machine learning
- The role of analytic reasoning and logic to guide and validate efforts
- Interpreting, reporting, and visualizing the results of data analytics
- Verification and Validation of data analytics projects and systems
- Transitions from project concept to deployed data analytic system
- Computational and data storage considerations for data analytics
- Data Analytics at Scale: Big Data
- Big Data tools and techniques
- Overview of Hadoop and NoSQL
- Current trends in data analytics
The course is intended for a general audience including business people, managers, system architects/engineers, business/systems analysts, and software developers.
No mathematics or computer science experience is necessary. A general understanding of computing terminology and concepts is recommended. Familarity with databases and with basic statistical concepts is helpful.
Register 21 days before class start date and save 10%! Enter discount code EARLY10 during registration.
Register 21 days before class start date and save $250! Enter discount code EARLY250 during registration.
Is there a discount available for current students?
UMBC students and alumni, as well as students who have previously taken a public training course with UMBC Training Centers are eligible for a 10% discount, capped at $250. Please provide a copy of your UMBC student ID or an unofficial transcript or the name of the UMBC Training Centers course you have completed. Online courses are excluded from this offer.
What is the cancellation and refund policy?
Student will receive a refund of paid registration fees only if UMBC Training Centers receives a notice of cancellation at least 10 business days prior to the class start date for classes or the exam date for exams.