Python for Beginners
|This course introduces participants to essential elements of computer programming and features significant hands-on coding opportunities to learn the Python programming language.
The most practical and fundamental Python language elements are discussed in detail to get you to an intermediate coding level quickly. Most importantly, the strong hands-on, project-focused approach will allow you to begin building a coding portfolio that you will maintain in GitHub.
Knowledge gained from this course will allow participants to move on and apply their knowledge to Data Engineering, Data Science, and Artificial Intelligence applications.
Following completion of this class, students will be prepared to take the Python Institute’s PCEP (Certified Entry-Level Python Programmer) Certification Exam. This course includes an exam voucher for the PCEP Certification Exam and one exam retake.
This course is suitable for anyone wanting to learn how to code using the Python Language. Participants will learn proper software development techniques such as program design and debugging.
No prerequisites are needed for this course.
Still Not Sure That Python for Beginners Is Right For You?
Our Admissions Team can give you the facts you need to make the best decision for you. Request a call today by submitting the form below!
Important learning outcomes include:
- Understand core concepts of computer programming
- Understand good software development practices
- Learn fundamental programming constructs in the Python Programming Language
- Gain a strong working knowledge of fundamental Python programming constructs such as built-in datatypes, variables, conditional logic, control flow, loops, comprehensions, dictionaries, lists, and functions
- Work with File I/O
- Learn how to work with important Python libraries
- Gain hands-on experience with significant coding projects
- Prepare to pass the PCEP-30 Certification Exam
Register 21 days before class start date and save 10%! Enter discount code EARLY10 during registration.
Register 21 days before class start date and save $250! Enter discount code EARLY250 during registration.
Getting Started with Programming
● Running Python Notebooks from Google Collaboratory
● Python Types
● Arithmetic and Assignment Operators
● Logical Operators
● Type Conversion
● Boolean Operations and Values
Python Looping Constructs
● Working with Strings
● Built-in Python String Functions
● List Comprehensions
● User-Defined Functions
● Python Built-in Functions
● Object-oriented concepts
● Classes and Objects
Python Libraries and Modules
● Built-in Libraries and Modules
● Installing Modules with PIP
Running Python from the Command Line
● Python Interactive Shell
Errors and Debugging
● Types of Errors
● Planning your Program Design
● Iterative Design – Write, Test, Repeat
● Common Pitfalls for New Programmers
● GitLab Basics
Working with Text Files
● Python File I/O
● open() function
● with keyword
PCEP 30 – Certification Exam Preparation
● Discuss and review topics on the certification exam
● Take and discuss practice exams
- Is there a discount available for current students? UMBC students and alumni, as well as students who have previously taken a public training course with UMBC Training Centers are eligible for a 10% discount, capped at $250. Please provide a copy of your UMBC student ID or an unofficial transcript or the name of the UMBC Training Centers course you have completed. Online courses are excluded from this offer.
- What is the cancellation and refund policy? Student will receive a refund of paid registration fees only if UMBC Training Centers receives a notice of cancellation at least 10 business days prior to the class start date for classes or the exam date for exams.
- What is Live Online training? Classes marked Live Online have the same content and expert instructors as our classroom training, but are delivered entirely online through our virtual classroom environment. Each class session is live, and led by an Instructor.