SAFe® for Government
Transitioning to Lean-Agile practices for building technology-based capabilities is especially challenging in the government context.
But issues of legacy governance, contracting, and organizational barriers can be overcome with the right information and strategies. During this two-day course, attendees will learn the principles and practices of the Scaled Agile Framework® (SAFe®), how to execute and release value through Agile Release Trains, and what it means to lead a Lean-Agile transformation of a program inside a government agency.
Attendees gain an understanding of the Lean-Agile mindset and why it’s an essential foundation for transformation. They’ll also get practical advice on building high performing, multi-vendor Agile teams and programs, managing technology investments in Lean flow, acquiring solutions with Agile contracting, launching the program, and planning and delivering value using SAFe. Attendees also learn how specific leadership behaviors can drive successful organizational change in government.
All are welcome to attend the course, regardless of experience. However, the following prerequisites are highly recommended:
- A foundational understanding of the Agile Manifesto, SAFe House of Lean, and SAFe Principles is required using pre-work suggestions
- A foundational understanding the full lifecycle of government technology programs is helpful
- Registered attendees will receive a list of readings and videos specific to Agile in government that will be beneficial to review before the course
Learners taking this course are:
- Business Analyst
- Agile Coach
- SAFe Program Consultant
- Practice Lead
To perform the role of a SAFe® Practitioner, attendees should be able to:
- Transition government programs from traditional software and systems development models to Lean-Agile and DevOps mindset, principles, and practices using SAFe
- Adapt technology strategy, budgeting and forecasting, acquisition, compliance, and governance processes to flow-based practices using emerging government guidelines
- Organize government programs into one or more Agile Release Trains (ARTs) and execute in Program Increments (PIs)
- Explore Large Solution coordination in a government and multi-vendor environment
- Identify and internalize the mindset and leader behaviors essential to successful Lean-Agile transformation
- Follow success patterns for SAFe implementations adapted to the government context
- Build a preliminary outline of next steps to begin and/or accelerate the SAFe implementation in your program or agency
Register 21 days before class start date and save 10%! Enter discount code EARLY10 during registration.
Register 21 days before class start date and save $250! Enter discount code EARLY250 during registration.
- Advancing Lean-Agile in government
- Embracing a Lean-Agile mindset
- Understanding SAFe principles
- Creating high-performing Agile teams and programs
- Planning with cadence and synchronization
- Supporting program execution
- Mapping the path to agency and program agility
- Leading successful change
What Attendees Get
- Attendee workbook
- One-year membership to the SAFe Community Platform
- Course certificate of completion
- One Certification exam attempt upon General Availability of the course
*Attendees must attend each day of the course to be eligible for the exam.
Completion of this course gives you access to the exam and all related study materials as part of your Learning Plan in the SAFe Community Platform. For more information about the exam and benefits of becoming a Certified SAFe professional, click HERE.
|Professional Development Units (PDUs) and Scrum Education Units (SEUs)|
|Activity Number||4446C47GSQ||Duration||2 Days|
Is there a discount available for current students?
UMBC students and alumni, as well as students who have previously taken a public training course with UMBC Training Centers are eligible for a 10% discount, capped at $250. Please provide a copy of your UMBC student ID or an unofficial transcript or the name of the UMBC Training Centers course you have completed. Online courses are excluded from this offer.
What is the cancellation and refund policy?
Student will receive a refund of paid registration fees only if UMBC Training Centers receives a notice of cancellation at least 10 business days prior to the class start date for classes or the exam date for exams.