SHRM Essentials of Human Resource Management
This course is a true introduction to human resource management. The primary focus of this program is to provide participants with a broad overview of the human resource function. The course includes readings, lectures, class discussions, and application activities. The discussions will help students make connections between the readings and the lectures, while the application activities assist in applying new concepts to their workplace.
The Essentials of Human Resource Management Certificate Program offered by the Society for Human Resources Management (SHRM®) is designed to commence your career and increase your HR effectiveness. As an introductory course, this program offers a comprehensive overview to human resource management. This course is specifically designed to challenge you and provide the skills you need to confidently face today’s complex HR situations and compliance issues within your organization. Through interactive case studies you will benefit from learning a variety of techniques for handling HR challenges.
Developed by leading HR experts, HR practitioners, and legal counsel, the SHRM Essentials® of HR Management covers introductory HR topics in a condensed, easy-to-understand format. Topics include; employment law, selecting qualified employees, compensation, orientation and training, and the performance management process. This program is ideal for those who are new to HR or those who perform HR tasks as a part of their many roles. Access to the web-based software is valid 18 months from the date of purchase.
Who Should Take This Course
- The Essentials program is designed for junior HR practitioners but is also ideal for individuals involved in hiring or managing employees.
- HR Specialist
- Administrative Assistant
- HR Generalist
- Executive Assistant
- Office Manager
- HR Administrator
- Staffing Specialist
- Entry-Level Professionals who are exploring HR as a career field
- Line Managers who have HR Responsibilities
Register 21 days before class start date and save 10%! Enter discount code EARLY10 during registration.
Register 21 days before class start date and save $250! Enter discount code EARLY250 during registration.
Module 1: Human Resource Management
- Define human resource management
- Explain the roles and responsibilities of human resource professional
- Assessing the Internal Environment
- Explain and strengthen the alignment between strategic planning and HR planning
Module 2: Employment Law
- Explain the key provisions of legislation that affects HR activities, including:
- Title VII, Civil Rights Act of 1964
- Pregnancy Discrimination Act
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act
- Americans with Disabilities Act
- Civil Rights Act 1991
- Fair Labor Standards Act
- Equal Pay Act
- Immigration Reform and Control Act
- Family and Medical Leave Act
- Fair Credit Reporting Act
- Drug-Free Workplace Act
- Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act
- Explain the role of the EEOC and how it conducts investigations
- Describe the purpose and elements of an affirmative action plan
Module 3: Recruitment and Selection
- Evaluate recruiting methods and their effectiveness
- Explain the selection process and identify key selection tools
- Analyze and evaluate job applicants
- Reconizge biases in the interview process an how to elimante them
Module 4: Compensation and Benefits
- Explain the basic elements of a total compensation system
- Understand the role of base pay, incentives and differentials in employee compensation
- Explain the four key steps of the compensations system design process
- Provide an overview of benefits commonly offered by employers
Module 5: Employee Development
- Explain the purposes of orientation, development, and training
- Explain the importance of learning styles and adult learning principles in developing training
- Identify key career development tolls
- identify on-the-job and off-the-job training strategies
- Explain the four levels of evaluation
Module 6: Performance Management
- Describe the performance appraisal process and systems
- Identify common appraisal errors
- Conduct effective disciplinary meetings
- identify legal issues to consider during employee terminations
Is there a discount available for current students?
UMBC students and alumni, as well as students who have previously taken a public training course with UMBC Training Centers are eligible for a 10% discount, capped at $250. Please provide a copy of your UMBC student ID or an unofficial transcript or the name of the UMBC Training Centers course you have completed. Online courses are excluded from this offer.
What is the cancellation and refund policy?
Student will receive a refund of paid registration fees only if UMBC Training Centers receives a notice of cancellation at least 10 business days prior to the class start date for classes or the exam date for exams.