Delegating and Coaching
Part of a leader’s role is delegating, coaching, motivating, and empowering others towards success. Delegating and coaching is no longer limited to an individual’s direct reports. Within a learning organization, the barriers restricting who learns from and coaches whom become obsolete. Delegating and coaching does not occur hierarchically, but rather depends on who takes initiative to teach others when the opportunity arises. The continuum of development ranges from helping poor performers improve to leveraging the strengths of high potential employees by continuously challenging and ‘stretching’ their current skills. A learning organization that promotes the mutual development of success at all levels contributes to individual and organizational productivity. Through lecture, discussion, role-play exercises, and the use of learning instruments, this course introduces methods for improving the effectiveness of participants’ delegation, coaching, motivation, and empowerment of others, regardless of managerial level.
Upon completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify and emulate the characteristics of effective coaches
- Address the unique needs of new employees by using techniques that start them off on a successful career
- Apply the techniques of situational leadership for effectively directing, guiding, inspiring, and empowering others
- Identify others’ strengths and developmental needs
- Provide on-going coaching and counseling for helping others improve
- Delegate skillfully by evaluating tasks with employee skills and developmental needs
- Use basic principles of motivation for inspiring excellence in others
- Establish high standards of performance
- Create a high-performance environment
- Use coaching techniques that help employees maintain their self-esteem while focusing on skill enhancement and improving job performance
- Provide appropriate recognition and discipline for supporting an effective and efficient unit
Register 21 days before class start date and save 10%! Enter discount code EARLY10 during registration.
Register 21 days before class start date and save $250! Enter discount code EARLY250 during registration.
Is there a discount available for current students?
UMBC students and alumni, as well as students who have previously taken a public training course with UMBC Training Centers are eligible for a 10% discount, capped at $250. Please provide a copy of your UMBC student ID or an unofficial transcript or the name of the UMBC Training Centers course you have completed. Online courses are excluded from this offer.
What is the cancellation and refund policy?
Student will receive a refund of paid registration fees only if UMBC Training Centers receives a notice of cancellation at least 10 business days prior to the class start date for classes or the exam date for exams.