Individuals in leadership roles know the importance of collaboration during meetings. Groups must solve problems, innovate, make decisions and action plans, and ultimately achieve consensus to be effective. They also know that many groups find these meetings frustrating, costly, and often a waste of time. Facilitation adds another dimension to the new face of leadership. This course is about giving executives, managers, supervisors, and other leaders the skills and techniques for fully engaging a group and meeting their objectives efficiently. Participants learn systematic approaches and best practices for problem-solving, decision-making, generating and evaluating ideas, achieving consensus, managing dysfunction and difficult teammates, and receiving commitment to the goals of the organization from direct charges. The course uses discussion, role-play exercises, videos, learning instruments, and individual and team activities that allow for experimentation and practice. This course aims at making groups more productive through equipping leaders for achieving results quicker and for less cost.
Upon completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Use different methods for problem-solving, decision-making, innovative thinking, and achieving consensus
- Select the right technique for the right situation
- Leverage the knowledge, experience, and creativity of their people for making sound decisions and implementing effective action
- Increase group participation
- Encourage a diversity of perspectives
- Manage difficult participants
- Recognize dysfunction and tangents while maintaining focus
- Incorporate visual techniques for keeping the group focused
- Build an effective team outside of the working sessions
- Gain commitment for action
- Acknowledge and celebrate team accomplishments
- Plan, prepare for, and facilitate large group sessions
- Engage their staff in ways that move the organization toward a culture of participation
Register 21 days before class start date and save 10%! Enter discount code EARLY10 during registration.
Register 21 days before class start date and save $250! Enter discount code EARLY250 during registration.
Is there a discount available for current students?
UMBC students and alumni, as well as students who have previously taken a public training course with UMBC Training Centers are eligible for a 10% discount, capped at $250. Please provide a copy of your UMBC student ID or an unofficial transcript or the name of the UMBC Training Centers course you have completed. Online courses are excluded from this offer.
What is the cancellation and refund policy?
Student will receive a refund of paid registration fees only if UMBC Training Centers receives a notice of cancellation at least 10 business days prior to the class start date for classes or the exam date for exams.