Flexing Your Leadership Style 101 and 202
Flexing Your Leadership Style is a course designed to help participants recognize and develop their unique leadership styles. In this course, participants complete a self-assessment to identify their preferred leadership style and explore the strengths and potential disadvantages of each style. Through a variety of exercises and refection activities, participants deepen their understanding of self and how they show up to others both inside and outside of the work environment. This course enables participants to practice techniques that help them select and apply the most effective leadership styles to build and sustain a high trust work environment, build employee commitment, manage change, and influence people to maximize productivity and performance. Participants explore the dynamic relationship between exercising power and influence throughout this course. It also enhances participants’ leadership effectiveness by defining and expanding upon the qualities and commitments of effective leadership. There is a commonality between the Flexing Your Leadership Style 101 and Flexing Your Leadership Style 202 courses in both content and design. The differences between them reflect not in the content, but in the facilitation of the course. The expectation is that the participants in 202 are first or second level supervisors or managers; therefore, the conversations regarding application of leadership styles to various situations reflect real world, personal experiences, and decisions within the organization. Participants in 101 are individual contributors and team and project leads. The anticipated discussions with this group are more on observed leadership styles applications and personal experiences being on the receiving end of applications of different leadership styles.
Upon completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Increase self-awareness through an analysis of their preferred leadership style and describe the strengths and potential disadvantages of that style
- Examine how effective leadership styles impact performance and results; select and apply the most appropriate leadership style to best meet the needs required within a given situation
- Apply proven techniques to increase communication effectiveness and break down barriers with others with different styles
- Describe the leader’s role in creating and maintaining a work climate that maximizes employee contribution and effectiveness
- Identify and track critical success factors to assess personal and organizational effectiveness
- Review various leadership style theories and analyze their application in today’s environment
- Develop a Personal Action Plan that integrates the key workshop learning’s with needs/challenges at work
- Develop a Personal Action Plan that empowers participants to leave their comfort zone and take managed risks to improve their personal effectiveness
Register 21 days before class start date and save 10%! Enter discount code EARLY10 during registration.
Register 21 days before class start date and save $250! Enter discount code EARLY250 during registration.
Is there a discount available for current students?
UMBC students and alumni, as well as students who have previously taken a public training course with UMBC Training Centers are eligible for a 10% discount, capped at $250. Please provide a copy of your UMBC student ID or an unofficial transcript or the name of the UMBC Training Centers course you have completed. Online courses are excluded from this offer.
What is the cancellation and refund policy?
Student will receive a refund of paid registration fees only if UMBC Training Centers receives a notice of cancellation at least 10 business days prior to the class start date for classes or the exam date for exams.