Leading and Managing High-Performing Project Teams
Effective project team leadership is critical to the overall success of a project or initiative. For successfully leading project teams, team leaders cannot afford simply learning on the job as they go; this is not a sink or swim situation. The learning curve is excessively steep for simply learning on an individual’s own, and the consequences of poor team leadership to the project outcome too significant for letting it just happen. This practical and results-oriented skill-building course develops the leadership and management skills necessary for improving team leaders’ leading of project teams and concluding projects successfully. The course provides both experienced and less experienced team leaders with proven tools and techniques immediately applicable upon their return to the workplace. During this course, participants reflect on their attitude towards management and leadership, as well as discuss the implications of accepting a team leadership role. The course provides participants with opportunities for practicing skills of establishing effective and collaborative working relationships within their project teams, and thus enhancing their project team’s collective potential and performance. At its core, leading project teams is about empowering team members. By empowering team members for operating with more freedom, thinking and responding creatively, and supporting one another within a team environment, the successful completion of a project team’s goals increases significantly. The skills learned in this course are immediately applicable by participants not only in project team situations but also in all their organizational interactions.
Upon completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify the critical distinctions between leading and managing
- Employ the key traits of both leading and managing for leading effective project teams
- Describe the myths and realities of leadership and management
- Build openness, trust, and respect among team members and value the contributions of each member
- Break down communication barriers within the team and foster interaction among team members
- Establish challenging goals, apply appropriate metrics, monitor results, and deliver effective feedback
- Apply group dynamic techniques for building high performance project teams in various team situations: face-to-face, virtual, and remote teams
- Surface and resolve team conflict constructively using team problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Acknowledge and celebrate team progress and accomplishments
- Set direction and enhance team member commitment by focusing attention to vision, mission, values, and goals
- Create and sustain a climate for encouraging team creativity
- Apply techniques and strategies for prioritizing activities that best leverage limited resources and maximize team effectiveness
Register 21 days before class start date and save 10%! Enter discount code EARLY10 during registration.
Register 21 days before class start date and save $250! Enter discount code EARLY250 during registration.
Is there a discount available for current students?
UMBC students and alumni, as well as students who have previously taken a public training course with UMBC Training Centers are eligible for a 10% discount, capped at $250. Please provide a copy of your UMBC student ID or an unofficial transcript or the name of the UMBC Training Centers course you have completed. Online courses are excluded from this offer.
What is the cancellation and refund policy?
Student will receive a refund of paid registration fees only if UMBC Training Centers receives a notice of cancellation at least 10 business days prior to the class start date for classes or the exam date for exams.