Leading from the Front, Middle, and Behind
Leading from the Front, Middle, and Behind is a course for first-line and emerging leaders which focuses on the individual’s movement from independence (being solely an individual contributor) toward enlightened thinking on interdependence (being a team member or team leader). Participants gain experience with Steven Covey’s Maturity Continuum and gain deeper self-awareness through exposure to the DiSC personal behavior assessment tool. As participants learn about their individual preferences and styles, they begin to understand more deeply how they “show-up” within their organizations. By gaining a better understanding of behavioral preferences and interpersonal relationship dynamics, participants learn techniques for combining their efforts with others’ for achieving greater success. The Leading from the Front, Middle, and Behind course focuses on concepts pertaining to relational mastery and the development of influence, motivation, team dynamics, and collaboration. The course integrates the DiSC behavioral preferences throughout these elements to expand on their interpersonal dynamics. This provides participants with a better understanding of how they can leverage various techniques to gain greater leadership effectiveness.
Upon completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify personal behavioral preferences
- Describe how differing behavioral preferences can positively or negatively affect relationships
- Assess the best approach for enhancing interpersonal relationships between various behavioral preferences
- Identify the critical elements of communication and common barriers between people of differing behavioral preferences
- Increase personal and organizational effectiveness by taking a more proactive role in building relationships within their team and organization
- Identify the basics of the “science” of human motivation including the theories of formative motivation researchers such as Mayo, Maslow, Hertzberg, and McClelland
- Identify what employees want most from their jobs and create a motivating and supportive workplace
- Inspire higher levels of commitment from others and earn their trust
- Address the challenges of diverse teams in both short-term and long-term situations
- Identify the characteristics of being a proactive, supportive team member
- Implement techniques for adopting a positive mind-set about working on a team
- Value the contributions of team members toward achieving team goals
- Support others through the stages of team development
- Create and maintain a team environment conducive to high performance
- Build openness, trust, and respect among team members
- Break down communication barriers within the team, improve interpersonal processes, and foster interaction among team members
- Create the opportunity for stronger collaboration among team members and across diverse functional areas
- Foster an innovative environment of communication and collaboration
- Encourage the free flow of ideas by their team and organization
Register 21 days before class start date and save 10%! Enter discount code EARLY10 during registration.
Register 21 days before class start date and save $250! Enter discount code EARLY250 during registration.
Is there a discount available for current students?
UMBC students and alumni, as well as students who have previously taken a public training course with UMBC Training Centers are eligible for a 10% discount, capped at $250. Please provide a copy of your UMBC student ID or an unofficial transcript or the name of the UMBC Training Centers course you have completed. Online courses are excluded from this offer.
What is the cancellation and refund policy?
Student will receive a refund of paid registration fees only if UMBC Training Centers receives a notice of cancellation at least 10 business days prior to the class start date for classes or the exam date for exams.