Management Skills for New Supervisors
Today’s strong first-time supervisors can act and react positively in virtually any situation and can always balance their concerns for productivity against their concerns for people. For an individual new to a supervisory role, if they can learn and master the skills of management, then the benefits accrue in the form of productive employees, strong teams, and quality work. The design of the course assists participant understanding and application of management techniques for maximizing their employees’ time and abilities. Through a series of exercises that identify a first-time supervisor’s strengths and preferences, participants develop a personal strategy for optimizing their performance and making the most of their employees’ skills. Participants learn strategies for motivating, inspiring, and truly leading others towards success, while constantly improving their own skills and management ability. Through lecture, discussion, role-play exercises, and the use of learning instruments, participants learn methods for getting the best from each of their employees, establishing strategic and well-defined goals for their work units, gaining and maintaining respect from peers, and overcoming difficult employee challenges.
Upon completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Articulate what is expected of them as a supervisor
- Identify leadership styles and determine individual leadership strengths and preferences
- Interact with different personalities
- Manage a diverse workforce
- Organize employee teams
- Articulate a unit’s mission and vision and establish goals
- Use listening techniques and ask probing questions
- Conduct effective meetings
- Negotiate a conflict situation
- Apply a scientific approach for problem solving and decision making
- Delegate tasks for improving efficiency
- Coach employees for enhanced performance
- Motivate employees and build employee commitment
- Implement a recognition and discipline system
- Handle obstacles hindering effective time management
- Manage multiple and conflicting priorities
- Assess personal effectiveness as a first-time supervisor
Register 21 days before class start date and save 10%! Enter discount code EARLY10 during registration.
Register 21 days before class start date and save $250! Enter discount code EARLY250 during registration.
Is there a discount available for current students?
UMBC students and alumni, as well as students who have previously taken a public training course with UMBC Training Centers are eligible for a 10% discount, capped at $250. Please provide a copy of your UMBC student ID or an unofficial transcript or the name of the UMBC Training Centers course you have completed. Online courses are excluded from this offer.
What is the cancellation and refund policy?
Student will receive a refund of paid registration fees only if UMBC Training Centers receives a notice of cancellation at least 10 business days prior to the class start date for classes or the exam date for exams.