Situational Leadership and the Leadership Continuum
The phrase “being a leader” is often plagued by the misconception of there being only one type of leader, that an individual is either this type of leader or another. On the contrary, multiple leadership styles exist that a leader can employ and are suited for various settings and teams. Transactional leaders act as passive overseers who work within a system and adhere to its structures, while transformational leaders are constantly scanning the horizon for opportunities and ways to transcend paradigms. Additionally, transformational leaders are characterized by giving specific attention to direct charges, embodying a much more relational leadership. Each of these styles is appropriate at certain times, and a situational leader recognizes the type of leadership circumstances call for and adopts the necessary role. This course incorporates the distinction between transactional leadership and transformational leadership. It uses Kouzes and Posner’s Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership (Model the Way, Inspire a Shared Vision, Challenge the Process, Enable Others to Act, and Encourage the Heart) for helping participants become more dynamic and adaptive leaders. Participants explore various leadership styles and strategies in this course while self-examining their current approaches to leadership, discovering where gaps exist so they can actualize their full leadership potential.
Upon completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify various leadership behaviors and styles
- Understand the difference and similarities between the different leadership styles
- Identify the elements and behaviors of the different leadership styles
- Inspire action as a leader and gain followership
- Apply an effective leadership style given the situation
- Use aspects of Kouzes and Posner’s Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership for stretching their leadership abilities
- Understand effectively use the various levels of delegation by a leader or manager
- Enhance their personal leadership development by motivating the cultivation and practice of their leadership styles
- Identify their current leadership reputation
- Develop an action plan for achieving their aspirational reputation
Register 21 days before class start date and save 10%! Enter discount code EARLY10 during registration.
Register 21 days before class start date and save $250! Enter discount code EARLY250 during registration.
Is there a discount available for current students?
UMBC students and alumni, as well as students who have previously taken a public training course with UMBC Training Centers are eligible for a 10% discount, capped at $250. Please provide a copy of your UMBC student ID or an unofficial transcript or the name of the UMBC Training Centers course you have completed. Online courses are excluded from this offer.
What is the cancellation and refund policy?
Student will receive a refund of paid registration fees only if UMBC Training Centers receives a notice of cancellation at least 10 business days prior to the class start date for classes or the exam date for exams.