Effective team leadership is critical to the overall success of any project or initiative. For successfully leading teams, team leaders cannot afford simply learning on the job as they go; this is not a sink or swim situation. The learning curve is excessively steep for simply learning on one’s own, and the consequences of poor team leadership to the project outcome too significant for letting it just happen. While everyone has their preferred leadership style, individuals who are successful team leaders are flexible in their approach while working with others by seeking the maximization of their effectiveness. This practical and results-oriented skill-building course provides participants with proven tools and techniques immediately applicable upon returning to the workplace. Participants examine different leadership styles and through self-assessments, analyze both the effective and potentially self-destructive behavior patterns in their “preferred” leadership style. They reflect on their attitude towards leadership, as well as discuss the implications of accepting a team leadership role. The course provides participants with opportunities for practicing skills of establishing effective and collaborative working relationships within their teams, and thus enhancing their team’s collective potential and performance. At its core, leading teams is about empowering team members. By empowering team members for operating with more freedom, thinking and responding creatively, and supporting one another within a team environment, the successful completion of team goals increases significantly. Participant immediate application of the skills learned in this course, both in team situations as well as organizational interactions, not only helps solidify their learning, but also ensures their improved individual, team, and organizational performance.
Upon completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify and describe how different leadership styles affect relationships, collaboration, and team success
- Identify their preferred leadership style and adapt a leadership style most appropriate to the situation
- Identify the critical distinctions between leading and managing, and practice the key traits of both for leading effective teams
- Describe and embrace the role of team leader and accept personal responsibility through self-reflection exercises
- Lead team members through the stages of team development and create and maintain a team environment conducive for high performance
- Surface and resolve team conflict constructively using team problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Identify the general nature of a specific problem and apply the appropriate problem-solving model
- Apply strategies for preparing the team for change, managing the uncertainties posed by change, and helping move team members from “change victim” to “change master”
- Lead from a core set of personal values and model the behaviors essential for ethical decision-making
- Be more persuasive by analyzing a situation and applying the most appropriate influence strategies for it
- Evaluate tasks and goals using the lens of urgency and importance, and effectively schedule and prioritize critical tasks and projects
- Set direction and enhance team member commitment by attention to vision, mission, goals, and organizational values, even in the absence of formal authority
- Enhance their interpersonal skills for enhancing interpersonal relationships, creating a climate of trust, and increasing personal effectiveness in networking
- Apply tools and tactics for creating and nurturing a motivating environment that engages employees and increases employee commitment
Register 21 days before class start date and save 10%! Enter discount code EARLY10 during registration.
Register 21 days before class start date and save $250! Enter discount code EARLY250 during registration.
Is there a discount available for current students?
UMBC students and alumni, as well as students who have previously taken a public training course with UMBC Training Centers are eligible for a 10% discount, capped at $250. Please provide a copy of your UMBC student ID or an unofficial transcript or the name of the UMBC Training Centers course you have completed. Online courses are excluded from this offer.
What is the cancellation and refund policy?
Student will receive a refund of paid registration fees only if UMBC Training Centers receives a notice of cancellation at least 10 business days prior to the class start date for classes or the exam date for exams.