Dynamic organizations need strong leaders who can act and react positively in virtually any situation and can always balance concerns for productivity against concerns for people. They need leaders who, not necessarily by virtue of their position within the organization, can influence others to work to achieve the organization’s goals.
The Emerging Leadership Certificate Program at UMBC Training Centers focuses on the development of emerging leaders within organizations. An assessment of their strengths, weaknesses, and preferences, provides participants with the insight to develop a personal strategy to optimize their performance, as well as, make the most of the capabilities of others in the organization. Through the use of a broad variety of instruction tools and techniques (discussion, group work, role-playing exercises, video, experiential exercises, and self-assessments), participants will learn how to “get the best” from others, establish strategic and well-defined goals, gain and maintain respect from peers, and overcome difficult personnel challenges.
Upon completion of Emerging Leadership, participants will be able to:
- Increase their communications effectiveness by addressing the critical elements of communication.
- Identify personality styles and use proven techniques to increase interpersonal effectiveness and break-down barriers with others with different styles.
- Build openness, trust and respect among team members to improve interpersonal processes and foster interaction.
- Exercise greater influence by applying the most appropriate influence strategies and addressing conflict constructively.
- Describe the myths and realities of leadership to identify the critical distinctions between leadership and management and practice the key traits of effective leaders.
- Apply constructive strategies to manage the uncertainties posed by change and successfully manage the people side of changev
- Monitor and adapt their emotions and behaviors to maximize personal effectiveness and improve organizational performance.
- Take managed risks to improve their personal effectiveness.
Register 21 days before class start date and save 10%! Enter discount code EARLY10 during registration.
Register 21 days before class start date and save $250! Enter discount code EARLY250 during registration.
Introduction to Leadership – A Working Leadership Model
- The Leadership Challenge
- The Four Competencies of Effective Leadership
- Effective “Followership”
- Behavioral Differences between Leaders and Managers
- Leading With a Positive Attitude
- Typing Ourselves and Others
- Improving Communications Through Typing
- Working Effectively with Different Styles
- Leveraging Personality Styles to Maximize Performance
- Applying Type to Improve Relationships
- Practicing Active Listening
- Eliminating Filters to Effective Listening
- Helping Others Listen More Effectively
- Doing the Basics Better
Communications and Perceptions
- How Perceptions Influence Relationships
- Building Trust
- Understanding and Managing Assumptions
- Reducing Defensiveness
- Applying Direct and Indirect Messages
Building Effective Workplace Relationships
- Defining the “Ideal Relationship”
- Behaviors – Those That Support / Those That Undermine
- Assessing Your Relationships
- Self-Awareness and Self-Concept
- Knowledge Is Power – Share Fully
- Using Feedback Skills to Build High-Performance Relationships
- What Is Emotional Intelligence
- Self-Awareness and Self-Management
- Overcoming Emotional Triggers
- Social Awareness and Relationship Management
- Influencing and Motivating with Emotional Intelligence
Influencing Others to Action
- Choosing the Right Influencing Strategy (and Avoiding the Wrong Ones)
- Influencing Without Formal Authority
- Effectively Using Assertive – Responsive Techniques
- Transferring Program Learning to the Workplace
- Identifying Next Steps
- Developing a Personal Action Plan
Is there a discount available for current students?
UMBC students and alumni, as well as students who have previously taken a public training course with UMBC Training Centers are eligible for a 10% discount, capped at $250. Please provide a copy of your UMBC student ID or an unofficial transcript or the name of the UMBC Training Centers course you have completed. Online courses are excluded from this offer.
What is the cancellation and refund policy?
Student will receive a refund of paid registration fees only if UMBC Training Centers receives a notice of cancellation at least 10 business days prior to the class start date for classes or the exam date for exams.