Understanding Network Fundamentals
This three day course is an introduction to the core concepts of computer networking. This three-day course is a combination of lectures and hands-on lab exercises to establish a practical and foundational knowledge of network operations.
In this training course, you will configure a workstation to connect to a network, use a network sniffer to analyze network traffic, examine switch and router configurations, implement basic IPv4 addressing and subnetting, and explore network security solutions. You will gain an understanding of basic network functions, standards, and protocols, from the fundamentals of network architecture to the practical aspects of configuring and securing networks.
Whether you are a beginner looking to grasp the essentials or someone seeking to refresh their knowledge, this course will equip you with the skills and insights necessary navigate the work of networking confidently. This course will prepare students well for other networking courses, such as CompTIA’s Network+ and/or Cisco CCNA.
Students should have a basic understanding of operating a PC.
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Know the role of networking models.
- Discuss different network topologies.
- Discuss the use and installation of different network media.
- Physical vs. Logical addresses.
- IPv4 and IPv6 addressing, private and public addresses, and subnetting.
- Configure a workstation to properly connect to the network.
- Discuss the operation of basic network hardware, (hub, switch, router, and firewall).
- Understand common TCP/IP protocols, (UDP, TCP, ARP, DNS, and DHCP).
- Analyze network traffic with a network sniffer.
- Configure a wireless network.
- Explore WAN Technologies
- Understand network security threats, attacks, and countermeasures.
Register 21 days before class start date and save 10%! Enter discount code EARLY10 during registration.
Register 21 days before class start date and save $250! Enter discount code EARLY250 during registration.
- Module 1 – The basics
- Module 2 – Network Transmission Media
- Module 3 – Math for Networking
- Module 4 – Physical Network Addressing
- Module 5 – Logical Network Addressing
- Module 6 – Transport Layer
- Module 7 – Application Layer Protocols
- Module 8 – Network Devices
Is there a discount available for current students?
UMBC students and alumni, as well as students who have previously taken a public training course with UMBC Training Centers are eligible for a 10% discount, capped at $250. Please provide a copy of your UMBC student ID or an unofficial transcript or the name of the UMBC Training Centers course you have completed. Online courses are excluded from this offer.
What is the cancellation and refund policy?
Student will receive a refund of paid registration fees only if UMBC Training Centers receives a notice of cancellation at least 10 business days prior to the class start date for classes or the exam date for exams.