Red Hat System Administration II (RH134)
Red Hat System Administration II (RH134) serves as the second part of the RHCSA training track for IT professionals who have taken Red Hat System Administration I (RH124). The course goes deeper into core Linux system administration skills in storage configuration and management, installation and deployment of Red Hat® Enterprise Linux®, management of security features such as SELinux, control of recurring system tasks, management of the boot process and troubleshooting, basic system tuning, and command-line automation and productivity. .
Experienced Linux administrators looking for rapid preparation for the RHCSA certification should instead start with RHCSA Rapid Track (RH199).
This course is based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.2.
HOW CAN I TAKE THIS COURSE?
Experience Red Hat courses in person at our Columbia, MD facility.
Live Online Virtual Training (VT)
Red Hat’s live online virtual training is real-time training conducted remotely featuring Red Hat instructors. Learn more about Virtual Training (VT) here.
Self-Paced Video Classroom (VC)
Video Classroom, a key feature of the Red Hat Learning Subscription, presents a dynamic, self-paced video training of our most experienced Red Hat certified instructors, recorded in high definition (HD) video, that gives you that “in-classroom” setting without incurring travel costs and risking time away from the office. You get 90 days of unlimited access to course videos, 80 hours of cloud-lab access, full and searchable transcripts, high-quality, hands-on lab environments, email support, video functionality, and eBooks with your course content. Learn more about Video Classroom (VC) here. Course must be completed within 90 days after purchase.
Self-Paced ROLE (R)?
Red Hat Online Learning features the same high-quality course content found in their interactive classroom environments and is supplemented with 90-days of unlimited access to course content, 80 hours of cloud-based labs, and webinars from Red Hat experts – all of which is optimized for self-study, giving you the practical and applied knowledge you need to advance your skills, prepare for hands-on certification exams, and to further your career. Learn more about Red Hat Online Learning (R) here. Course must be completed within 90 days after purchase.
This course is geared toward Windows system administrators, network administrators, and other system administrators who are interested in supplementing current skills or backstopping other team members, in addition to Linux system administrators who are responsible for these tasks:
- Configuring, installing, upgrading, and maintaining Linux systems using established standards and procedures
- Providing operational support
- Managing systems for monitoring system performance and availability
- Writing and deploying scripts for task automation and system administration
As a result of attending this course, students should be able to perform the key tasks needed to become a full-time Linux administrator. Students will be introduced to more advanced administrative topics, such as storage management using LVM, SELinux management, and automated installation. This course goes deeper into enterprise Linux administration, including file systems and partitioning, logical volumes, SELinux, firewall configuration, and troubleshooting.
You should be able to demonstrate these skills:
- Install Red Hat Enterprise Linux using Kickstart
- Manage file systems and logical volumes
- Manage scheduled jobs
- Access network file systems
- Manage SELinux
- Control firewalls
- Perform troubleshooting tasks
Recommended next course or exam
Register 21 days before class start date and save 10%! Enter discount code EARLY10 during registration.
Register 21 days before class start date and save $250! Enter discount code EARLY250 during registration.
- Improve command line productivity
- Run commands more efficiently by using advanced features of the Bash shell, shell scripts, and various utilities provided by Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
- Schedule future tasks
- Schedule commands to run in the future, either one time or on a repeating schedule.
- Tune system performance
- Improve system performance by setting tuning parameters and adjusting scheduling priority of processes.
- Control access to files with ACLs
- Interpret and set access control lists (ACLs) on files to handle situations requiring complex user and group access permissions.
- Manage SELinux security
- Protect and manage the security of a server by using SELinux.
- Manage basic storage
- Create and manage storage devices, partitions, file systems, and swap spaces from the command line.
- Manage logical volumes
- Create and manage logical volumes containing file systems and swap spaces from the command line.
- Implement advanced storage features
- Manage storage using the Stratis local storage management system and use VDO volumes to optimize storage space in use.
- Access network-attached storage
- Use the NFS protocol to administer network-attached storage.
- Control the boot process
- Manage the boot process to control services offered and to troubleshoot and repair problems.
- Manage network security
- Control network connections to services using the system firewall and SELinux rules.
- Install Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- Install Red Hat Enterprise Linux on servers and virtual machines.
- Run Containers
- Obtain, run, and manage simple, lightweight services as containers on a single Red Hat Enterprise Linux server.
Is there a discount available for current students?
UMBC students and alumni, as well as students who have previously taken a public training course with UMBC Training Centers are eligible for a 10% discount, capped at $250. Please provide a copy of your UMBC student ID or an unofficial transcript or the name of the UMBC Training Centers course you have completed. Online courses are excluded from this offer.
What is the cancellation and refund policy?
Student will receive a refund of paid registration fees only if UMBC Training Centers receives a notice of cancellation at least 10 business days prior to the class start date for classes or the exam date for exams.
Business Outcome Statement
This training provides your team members with a solid foundation in Linux system administration, helping ensure improved ability to manage your infrastructure efficiently. This helps provide better system reliability, improve efficient system and storage utilization, and faster and more accurate responsiveness to system failures. This is the second of a two course series that takes a computer professional from minimal Linux experience to being a fully capable Linux administrator.