Information for Displaced Workers
For unemployed or underemployed Marylanders, many of our programs have been approved by the Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC) for WIOA funding. This entitles individuals to funding to obtain new skills and certifications to prepare them for a new career. This program is administered through One Stop Centers located throughout the state.
If you meet certain criteria, you may qualify for Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) funding! Our Admissions Advisors can assist you with the process of applying for training funding through your local American Job Center. Contact an advisor here.
We are committed to providing high quality training in person and live online. Our live online courses include real-time lectures, hands on virtual labs, and complete course materials. Students who are approved for WIOA funding can begin their training immediately.
Workforce Student Testimonial
“Changing careers mid-life, mid-stream is definitely a daunting experience, but I felt that everyone at UMBC Training Centers was rooting for me. The instructors are incredibly knowledgeable, accessible, and I always felt that my questions on the material or applications of the material were taken seriously, and addressed thoroughly. And knowing the multitude of ways that the instructors took to be there was helpful as well — from industry, academia, the military, or another career-changer — because there’s no “one way” to enter cybersecurity, thus discussions of the numerous career paths available were fascinating.
From the program coordinators and admissions advisors there were frequent offers of networking events, resume reviews, Q&A sessions on interview techniques and mockups that I felt were one of the best parts of the program; feeling that my skills were being revamped, and updated for entry into a brand-new field gave me a fresh confidence that I was ‘really’ ready to go out and get a job that I loved.” (Howard County WIOA Student)
WIOA APPROVED PROGRAMS
- Certificate in Cyber Foundations
- CompTIA A+
- CompTIA Network+
- CompTIA Security+
- Certified Cybersecurity Analyst Program
- Certificate in Red Hat System Administration
- Certified Cisco Network Associate (CCNA)
- Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)
- Project Management Fundamentals (Certificate in Project Management & MS Project 2016 Workshop)
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Exam Preparation
- Certificate in Diagnostic Medical Sonography
Additional certifications are available as well:
- Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH)
- CompTIA PenTest+
- CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP+)
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
We’re also offering deep discounts for selected 2020 Live Online Courses! Click here for a full list of our online course offerings.
Benefits for Training Centers Students and Alumni
- Earn Certifications From Home – In addition to taking courses online, students will be able to sit for some exams from home through remote proctoring. Many certification organizations are updating their policies to allow students to take their exams from home. Contact us for more information.
- Complimentary Audit for Students – All students are eligible to retake a course for free within a calendar year of the start date through our Audit Policy.
- Study Nights with Subject Matter Experts – Regular study sessions led by our instructor team allow students to get additional support and assistance throughout their time at Training Centers.
- Dedicated Program Manager – A dedicated member of our team supports each student whether they are attending a virtual or in person course.
- Career Resource Workshops and Industry Events – Workshops designed to take your career to the next level with topics such as resume writing, creating LinkedIn Profiles, and preparation for remote interviewing. UMBC Training Centers also hosts frequent industry events for students to interact with potential employers.
Free Live Online Workshop Series
Curious about live online learning? Join us for a series of free workshops to experience our online learning environment. We cover a variety of topics from IT and Cryptography to Careers in Cybersecurity.
Certified Software Developer Program – Coming later in 2020
We are currently developing a new Certified Software Developer Program! This program will emphasize hands-on skills training allowing students to build a portfolio showcasing their skills. The goal of this program is to help fill the growing need for talented software developers and put more people into jobs. We are anticipating this program launching later this year for the workforce population.
FAQs for WIOA Students
How do I get the books I need for my course?
- Depending on the course the book can be delivered to you in one of two ways. It will either get mailed to your address directly or you will get access to a digital version on your computer if available. Either way, we will make sure you have the materials you need for your course.
I’ve never taken an online course, what do I need in order to take it?
- If you have never taken an online course before, it can seem intimidating! Luckily it’s very easy to get set up for class. The only technical requirement that you need is a computer with access to the internet and working speakers. It is recommended that you also have a microphone and a webcam for asking your instructors questions, but you can take the class without those if necessary.
Do I need to be a UMBC Student to register for a course?
- All UMBC Training Centers courses are open to the public for anyone to enroll in. You do not need to be a UMBC student to register for them.
FAQs for WIOA Counselors
Can I register a group of students for a program?
- Groups of students can be registered together in a private cohort or they can be registered individually. Whatever works easiest for you we can set up to get your students in class.
Who is my point of contact at UMBC Training Centers?
- If you have any questions about our programs or resources for students please don’t hesitate to contact our admissions team:
- Tim Engel, Admissions Advisor, 443-692-6586, email@example.com
- Brent Campbell, Admissions Advisor, 443-692-6594, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jordan Zavislak, Admissions Advisor, 443-692-6588, email@example.com
Do you have WIOA training courses on hold due to facility closures related to the COVID-19 State of Emergency?
- None of our courses have been put on hold by COVID-19. All of our courses have been moved to Live Online and are continuing on the schedule they had originally intended. All future courses are online as well until it is safe to return to the classroom.
What protocols have been developed to address delays and closures of your facilities during the COVID-19 State of Emergency?
- All students are notified via phone and email in the event of any delay or closure. With the facility closed though, all courses are proceeding online at their normal pace. All students also will have contact information at Training Centers to reach out if they have any questions.
What are your plans to resume training, once the COVID-19 State of Emergency ends?
- All of our training courses will continue Live Online until further notice. When it is deemed safe to return to the classroom, we will resume classroom training but we do not currently have a date scheduled for that.
LOCAL MARYLAND WORKFORCE CENTER LOCATIONS
*Additional county locations can be found by visiting: http://www.dllr.state.md.us/county/
Anne Arundel County
1460 Ritchie Highway, Suite 205
Arnold, MD 21012
7000 Arundel Mills Circle
Hanover, MD 21076
7480 Baltimore-Annapolis Bvld, Suite 100
Glen Burnie, MD 21061
BWI Main Terminal Building
Upper Level Ticket Counter between Piers B & C
Baltimore, MD 21240
80 West St.
Annapolis, MD 21401
3001 E. Madison Street
Baltimore, MD 21205
2401 Liberty Heights Avenue, 3rd floor, Suite 302
Baltimore, MD 21215
1100 N. Eutaw Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
11101 McCormick Road
Hunt Valley, MD 21031
3637 Offutt Road
The Liberty Center
Randallstown, MD 21133
7930 Eastern Boulevard at Rolling Mill Road
Baltimore, MD 21224
5340 A Spectrum Drive
Frederick, Maryland 21703
Harford & Cecil County
34 N. Philadelphia Blvd
Aberdeen, MD 21001
2 South Bond Street, 2nd floor
Bel Air, MD 21014
7161 Columbia Gateway Drive
Columbia, MD 21046
12900 Middlebrook Road
Germantown, MD 20874
11002 Veirs Mill Rd. South Bldg. 1st Floor
Wheaton, MD 20902
Prince George’s County
312 Marshall Avenue, Suite 504
Laurel, MD 20707
1801 McCormick Drive, 1st floor
Largo, Maryland 20774